Saturday, October 27, 2018

Favorite Gottman Quotes Part 2


I really like quotes from the book The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John M Gottman. Here are some that I jotted down from chapter 4 and 5:
“Emotionally intelligent coupes are intimately familiar with each others worlds”
I like this because to have emotional intelligence you have to be aware of the other person that concerns there needs, joys, wants, struggles which is how you attune yourself to being connected with them. Also I can connect with this because if you don’t practice awareness like my some friends I know doesn’t then as pure as there intentions are to you you can still suffer from there neglect to you feelings and needs. My friend seems to forget something that bothers me but I know he loves me so I am patient with his mistakes.
“if you don’t truly know someone, how can you love them
I like this because its talking about to have emotional intelligence you should to have a love map and know all about your partners life in as much aspects as you can of the good, bad, and ugly.

“The more you know and understand each other the easier it is to keep connected as life swirls around you”
This is referring to how knowing your spouse (love map) can help you understand when its you that’s the problem things are different or just life changes.
“fondness and admiration are two of the most crucial elements in a rewarding and long lasting romance”.
I like this because you need to remember goodness and appreciate you spouse throughout the week because it will help you stay in love instead of just seeing the bad in the other person. I also like this quote because if you aren’t in love with your spouse to where you want to be with them when you are away then you will be worse off. I think of how with friends I am mindful of not talking behind there back or getting them food because even though there not there what I do away from them effects when I am with them which goes along with this quote.
“the best test of whether a couple still have a functioning fondness and admiration system is usually how they view their past”.
I like this quote because this deals with on how you can tell if someone that is married becomes much too sour to even appreciate when there were happy fun and grateful times that were shared in the past to where it will be hard to revitalize the friendship and marriage and love.
I think If people have depression even in there marriage if they practice positive thoughts that over time can lift hopelessness that comes with depression even with a marriage thinking of positives with your partner when there away can help cherish them and ultimately not focus on whats going bad in your relationship.
And just to end I want to share a Christian quote from a church leader which is talking about sorrows that comes in families are very important for this life we are in and how we should look at them as a helpful educating thing rather than just negative, the quote says;
“The fall (of Adam and Eve) introduced the process by which we can learn from personal experience the central meaning of existence.” Marion G Romney

No comments:

Post a Comment